19 February 2012

Ireland vs. Canada: Understanding How the Other Half Speaks

It's February! Where does the time go?

I figured it was time that I start reflecting on and sharing some of the wonderful "differences" that I have had to adapt to while living on the Emerald Isle. I feel that I have been able to adapt pretty well to the "Irish" lifestyle, but I must admit, I am still resisting some changes. In my home, if I say 'where are my pants?', I do not and never will mean "where is my underwear". For me, pants will remain pants, and the word trousers will rarely creep into my vocabulary.

So here's a guide to Irish/UK vocabulary and phrases that I've picked up so far, and will help you 'fit' in when visiting!

Canadian word = Irish translation [FYI: The British also use some if not all these terms as well]

FOOD/Drink

Chips = Crisps 
Oh, the times that I've been reminded that "No Monica, you want CRISPS, not chips" when buying snack food.


Fries = Chips
Now, this one is a bit strange. Chips are what people call chunky deep fried cut potatoes... Basically, they are chunkier and thicker than what Norther Americans know as fries.

Garbage = Rubbish 
I still get laughed at when I call garbage -- 'garbage'.

Eggplant = Aubergine


Arugula = Rocket (lettuce) 


Zucchini = Courgette

- People will still understand you if you say the North American term, but across the pond, they say the latter. So just in case you're like me and didn't know there was another name for it.. there you go!

Pop/Soda = Fizzy Drink 
I find it funny when I hear customers ask for frizzy drinks... sounds like they are 6 years old.

Ground Meat = Mince Meat

Cookie = Biscuit 


Muffin/Cupcake/Danish/ = Bun 
Now, this one confuses me still. Some will say muffin, cupcake, danish, etc, but they are commonly referred to as "buns". Rice Crispy squares are popular here, and they'll be referred to as a bun as well, but then a caramel square or rocky road is a tray bake. People use these words interchangeably. But just be aware, if you hear someone talk about "buns" it doesn't mean like a bread bun that you'd use for sandwiches.

Bun = Roll or Bap 


Automobiles

Trunk = Boot 
"The spare tyre [tire], is in the boot!"

Hood = Bonnet 
"Take a look under the bonnet will ya?"

Truck = Lorry

Clothing

Pants = Trousers 
It's hard for me to use the phrase 'fancy pants' without people thinking I'm calling them 'fancy undies'

Sweater = Jumper 


Running Shoes/Sneakers = Trainers 

Around the House/Objects/Beauty

Stroller = Pram 


Bangs (hair) = Fringe 


Cellphone = Mobile 


Garbage/Trash Can  = Bin 


Garbage Bag = Bin Liner 


Plastic Wrap = Cling Film
It took me a while to get used to this one!!

Dish Soap = Washing Up Liquid
This was one of the first differences that I couldn't help but find absolutely absurd!





Misc 

Expensive = Dear 
Used in a sentence - "That restaurant is dear"

To Rent (an apartment)= To Let 
Using the term "to let" seems to be most commonly used when speaking of renting property. So you'll see lots of signs for renting places that say "To Let".

To Rent (a room, car, etc) = To Hire 
When using "to hire", it normally refers to renting a space for something, or a car, bike, etc.

Elevator = Lift (noun)


Apartment = Flat 


Ride = Lift (verb) 
Try not to make the mistake I made once when I said "I'm waiting for my 'ride'....people might take it as something 'sexual'. You might want to say "I'm waiting for my lift" instead!


Washroom/Restroom = Toilet 

Drunk = Pissed 


Store = Shop 


TV Show = Programme 


Flashlight = Torch
I'm curious as to what they call as actual torch with a flame...


Phrases/Words you may hear... 


'Call In' 


- Basically, when you hear someone tell you to "call in", "please call again", "when did you call in?", they actually mean "come visit me", "please come again", "when did you come around?".


'Power Shower'

An Electric Shower. Perhaps this is also used back home, but I didn't come across this term back home in Canada, and have never used an electric shower until I arrived here! Now, what I find amusing about "power shower" is the way the Northern Irish pronounce the word. If only I could type it out... 

'Take Away or sit in?" 
- When you 'call in' to a restaurant, you'll be asked whether or not you are taking your food "to go" or you're having your food/drink "for here". You'll hear this everywhere.

Line Up = Queue


"I'm Gettin'"
- This one confused me a lot at first. You're gettin? You're getting what exactly? When I'm first spoke to customers, I'd say "Can I help you?" and they'd respond with a Northern Irish (Belfast) "I'm Gettin' thanks". Simply put, this means "I'm being served". So, now I ask "Are you getting okay?", and people understand me. Strange eh?



PHEW!

Did you make it through the list? Lots there eh?

Hope you enjoyed that! There are many many more where that came from....

Till next time...

Keep Smilin'

M. 










No comments:

Post a Comment