08 February 2012

Bishops Restaurant - Traditional Fish & Chips

Bishops Restaurant 
 Traditional Fish & Chips


Location: 
30-34 Bradbury Place, Belfast Co.Down, Northern Ireland

Price
Fish Meal: Haddock, Chips, Drink & Beans : £6.40
Cod & Chips: £5.70

Established: 1991 


mmmm Fish and Chips!

It's about time I reviewed a chippy!! I've been to a few now, but haven't taken the time to actually think, "I should review this place". So, I'm starting with tonight's dinner choice...Bishops Restaurant. They've won awards in the past for their fish and chips, and I have never stepped foot in here, so I had to try it! 

Bishops is just your plain ol' traditional fish shop. No frills. There is table service is available, but if you're looking for just some old fashion fish and chips, the counter service is all you need. 



My fella and I opted for two options tonight. He got the fish meal deal, which came with a drink and beans on the side, however, your only choice of fish was either haddock (a cheaper fish) or whiting. He chose the haddock. I went for the cod supper since cod is a nicer fish, and standard when it comes to this traditional Irish/UK grub. 



Now, for those of you who don't know this...when I say chips, I don't mean North American potato chips, I mean, the standard British chip. They are like a fry, but chunkier, and take more time to cook. They aren't like the long and thin fries North Americans are used to. I have come to realise that chips are a standard comfort food here, and come with everything. Even when you order chinese food, chips are involved. Don't ask me why... it just seems to be the standard. 


Anyway, chips are an important part of the fish and chip combo, and Bishops has got it down. Their chips have a nice crisp outer layer, and nice soft interior. This is very important. Sometimes chips can be soggy, and too greasy, but these ones weren't. It's also important to note that good fish and chip shops are known to freshly cut and fry their potatoes, and don't normally use frozen pre-cut chips. You can tell in the texture that Bishops take the time to cut their own potatoes. 

The fish was also perfect. Gone are the days where I'd order fish and chips back in Ontario, and get a bit of fish with my batter. Oh no people. Across the pond they know how it's done... fish is the main ingredient, and there's lots of it. Bishops' batter is a nice thin layer of crispy goodness, and lots of fish inside. Perfect. 

The fact that my dinner actually took some time to make is also a great sign... no pre-fried fish and chips over here! It's all put together when you order! 

Pat's "I'm full" face. 

I should add that Patrick got his dinner with beans, which seems to be a standard side with fish and chips in Northern Ireland. Apparently they go well with chips...but I'm not a bean type gal. 

Anywho, I enjoyed my lovely dinner this evening. 

I'll give this chippy a 

5/5 Smiles for all around goodness!

Atmosphere was what you'd expect in a fish shop, and the quality was pretty awesome as well! 



mmmmmm 

keep smilin' 

M. 


1 comment: