11 January 2012

What's that Mean? - Are You Gettin'?

Are You Gettin'? 
I'm gettin' 

[Northern Irish]

Definition: 
Are you being served? 
I'm being served

Origins: 
Wish I knew, but it seems to be a Northern Irish phrase. 

When I started my job in a cafe, I noticed a strange phrase that customers kept saying every time I asked "Can I help you?". They would respond with a "I'm gettin'". For weeks I wondered, "What the heck are they saying?".  Sure it all sounds self explanatory, but for a girl who doesn't quite "get" the Northern Irish accent all the time, "I'm gettin'" can be a bit confusing. 

Anywho, now I've come to understand these Northern Irish folk. I ask people "Are you gettin?" and they happily respond with a "I'm gettin'". It's a strage phrase to say, but if it helps people understand me, I suppose I will assimilate. 


Keep Smilin'!

M. 




No comments:

Post a Comment