20 January 2012

Broken Umbrellas of Belfast : Part 1

***
Don't threaten me with love, baby. Let's just go walking in the rain. 
Billie Holiday
***
Fact: It rains in Ireland. 
A lot.
I mean, A LOT.

Now, though this fact is well known in Ireland, it seems that no matter what, the Irish get surprised each time it rains. Even though it rains on a regular basis, the Irish still get irritated, but still have faith that it won't rain when it's sunny. [Tip: Always assume that it will rain in Ireland, even when it's sunny.] Some are prepared, some are not. It rains so much that shops even supply wee plastic umbrella bags before you browse and potentially drip all over their products.

Now, you're probably wondering... why is this post called "Broken Umbrellas of Belfast". Well folks, it's because when I first arrived to Belfast, I noticed an abundance of broken umbrellas shoved into litter bins all over the city. This was especially noticeable after a sprinkle of rain. After seeing countless broken, and abandoned umbrellas, I decided to start documenting them.

I snapped the first photo a few weeks ago, but today, I came across 5 umbrellas all in the span of a 10 minute walk.
---
Warning: 
The following contains explicit images of what happens on a typical Irish rainy day. 
This material may not be suitable for umbrella lovers
---



  [Above Photo: It wasn't until I uploaded this photo did I notice that there were TWO umbrellas!]




So that's all for now folks. Next time it rains (which will be soon), I'll be sure to share more photos with you :) 

Protect your umbrellas everyone!!!

M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment