10 January 2012

Irish Must-Sees: Castlewellan - Peace Maze

So, I'm sure the thought "Where the heck is the largest permanent hedge maze in the world? I would love to go there!"

Well folks, look no further than in Castlewellan Forest Park in Castlewellan, Co.Down Northern Ireland. 


This maze was created to represent Northern Ireland's path to a peaceful future. Work on the maze started in 1998, and cost around £570, 000. The maze contains 6,000 Yew Trees, covering 3 acres, and has about 2 miles of pathways and hedges. Like every maze, the goal is to find your way to the centre of as quickly as possible! And if you get there, you get to ring a bell! 

I've visited this maze twice, and both times it's taken me a bit to get to the middle, but I'm sure one day I'll become an expert! Then again... what's the fun in that?! 


The Peace Maze is great for day trips, and I'd recommend a visit! Quite the view for a maze well! 

If you want to see what it's like in the maze, take a look at this video of my Irish Adventure last year. See the maze at around the 4:00 mark! 






Keep Smilin'!

M.

No comments:

Post a Comment