07 May 2012

Broken Umbrellas of Belfast: Part 3 - May Day Edition

***
Why does it always rain on me?
***

It's May Day! woohooo!

Alright, so I don't really *know* what May Day is or why it exists, etc. All I know is that it seems to be another excuse for a holiday in the UK/Ireland. Coming from a country (ie. Canada) that does not have as many public holidays as the UK, it's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea that there is yet again another long weekend for schools, etc. If you work in the food service industry, (like myself at the moment) you definitely start to notice how often kids have "breaks" from their studies, and it certainly feels as though it is ALL THE TIME. 

Anywho, I digress. 

It's coming to the end of May Day today, and what a day for broken umbrellas!!! Today was also the Belfast Marathon which surely helped increase the ample amount of umbrellas scattered around the city. I should add that it was pouring this morning. Windy, and pouring. Cold as well...

As I walked to work today (upstream of the marathon walkers mind you), I witnessed many an umbrella on it's way to the umbrella graveyard. It was quite the site! Women struggled to use the wind to put their umbrellas back in shape, small children tried to protect their faces from splashes and others completely gave up and just held the poor things. I must admit, I sturggled with the wind and rain this morning. My umbrella was not in good form. I had to quit using it in fear that it would soon end up in a trash can. What is with these Belfast winds?!? Uncontrollable! 

So, today I saw many umbrellas, so much so that the following is not a collection of what I've found since the last blog post, it's actually just umbrellas from today! So that's quite a bit! I sent Patrick on a mission to hunt for broken umbrellas as well... but he forgot our camera at home, and apparently he saw many! Is it wrong that I'm actually kinda sad I don't have more images to share with you? 

So friends, here they are AFTER THE JUMP!



---


There are actually TWO umbrellas in that litter can! And the black umbrella is actually the same as the above photo. 

The other side of the above litter can. 

by Waterfront Hall

Also near Waterfront Hall, but hours later...



And that's that! 




Don't forget your umbrellas!

 Keep Smilin'

Moni


No comments:

Post a Comment