25 April 2012

How to Pose like a Celebrity Chef


Posing. 

We all do it, and we do it all the time. The minute someone takes a camera out, we take our stance and strike a pose! Some make awkward faces to hide their [not so good looking] teeth smile, some raise an eyebrow, pout their lips to give off a 'seductive' vibe, and some look away, because it makes them look cool. 

Guilty as Charged 


ANYWAY. 

I'm here to talk about a little something I noticed while walking through my favourite part of bookstores: The Cooking Section. I love the cooking section. Sometimes I sit down with cook books and take photos of the recipes so that way I don't have to buy it... how awful is that? But that's besides the point...the point that I'm trying to make is actually a wee observation I made. The Chef Pose. 

Now, not ALL chefs follow this recipe when posing (ha ha... get it?) on the front of their books. Nigella Lawson and Gordon Ramsay seem to look right at you. They mean business. They know they are good, and they'll use their hypnotic eye language to tell you that. But others do this "I'm looking at how delicious my food looks" or "you're taking a picture while I'm cooking, no big deal, I'll just look this way and look like I don't care" poses.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share this observation. Is it fact? Are chefs prompted by photographers to "look away" for their cover shots. Does it work? Why does it work? 

You be the judge.










I suppose the conclusion of this post is basically: when posing for your future cook book, look away, smile, either look like you're cooking or pretend like you're eying the master piece you've just created. I'll make sure to keep this in mind.   


Keep Smilin'

M. 

No comments:

Post a Comment